Cebu Food Restaurants

Affordable brew in Parian: Shepherd’s Heart Cafe

By on June 15, 2014

good shepherd cafe - frontpage

Although Shepherd’s Heart Cafe is located right across the Heritage of Cebu Monument, you probably didn’t know that this unassuming coffeeshop or a coffeeshop for that matter even existed in this portion of the city.

If not for a colleague, I wouldn’t have known about this cafe either. He said that it was run by a Peace Corps volunteer and that it supports the cause of trafficked women. I quickly made a mental note to visit the nameless coffeeshop someday.

good shepherd cafe - interior

Thankfully, that visit happened sooner than I planned. Last Saturday, my friends and I chanced upon the cafe when we were looking for a place to hang around a bit until the 1730 Jesuit House, a museum in Parian, would be open.

From the get-go, it doesn’t look like the usual coffeeshops you’ve been to. There are no post-it mementos plastered on its largely bare, blue walls. No soft jazz music played on background too. All I can hear that time was the gentle murmur from the wall fans which provided some form of respite from the afternoon sun.

good shepherd cafe - menu

Despite the spartan yet charming interiors, I am happy to find out that their freshly brewed americano, costs only Php 40.00 – a mere fraction of what you would usually spend for the same cup at snazzier coffeeshops elsewhere. It was poured on a pretty glass, which according to one of my companions was ‘so French.’

But I am happier to know that their coffee beans were sourced in Kalinga in Northern Luzon. This was shared to us by Ron Roy, an urban planner from Australia and a volunteer himself albeit from another organization. He has been in the Philippines for almost 3 years already. He and his partner Amelia oversees the coffeeshop operations, among many other activities. They also worked alongside with the Good Shepherd Welcome House, an NGO whose office is located nearby.

good shepherd cafe - coffee

We would later talk about how he ended up in this part of the world, the places in the country he has visited and why they decided to open Shepherd’s Heart Cafe. I was probably too engrossed with our brief conversation or that my coffee was really good that I forgot to add sugar on my glass. Perhaps a good cup of joe does not need creamer or sugar after all.

Here’s hoping that Ron Roy, Amelia, the crew and the rest of their supporters would find continued success in their cause and in the coffeeshop as well. They serve good coffee and one that’s also affordable. I’d be definitely back for that and try a few of their grilled sandwiches perhaps in my next trip to downtown Cebu.

Shepherd’s Heart Cafe
Monday-Saturday | 8:30am – 6:00pm
Corner of Mabini-Zulueta Sts.
Parian, Cebu City
+63 32 254 5598

TAGS
RELATED POSTS
16 Comments
  1. Reply

Mustachio

June 16, 2014

Nice find, Baktin! Kuyog ko inig balik nimo hehehe

bren mercado | www.baktincorporation.com

June 16, 2014

Sure! πŸ™‚ It has to be on a Saturday though.

2. Reply

Amelia

June 16, 2014

Thanks for this great review! I wish I had been there to meet you all. I would only add one correction, the manager's name is Roy, not Ron πŸ™‚ – Amelia

bren mercado | www.baktincorporation.com

June 16, 2014

Hi Amelia, welcome to Baktin Corporation! I already edited my entry, thank your for the correction.

Will you be extending your stay here in the Philippines?

Anonymous

June 16, 2014

I quite like the name Ron, I think it's even a little more romantic and masculine than Roy

3. Reply

Roy Adam

June 16, 2014

Thanks for the review!

bren mercado | www.baktincorporation.com

June 16, 2014

The pleasure is mine. Welcome to Baktin Corporation!

4. Reply

Kikit

June 16, 2014

Cool. I used to live in Cebu for a year, but I never stumbled upon this coffee house. Sige ra man gud mi sa Turtles ato ba. Sige lang inig balik puhon πŸ™‚

bren mercado | www.baktincorporation.com

June 22, 2014

Hi Kikit, welcome to baktin corporation! πŸ™‚

5. Reply

Anonymous

June 22, 2014

You should bring our coffee loving friend J here Bren- jcm

bren | www.baktincorporation.com

June 25, 2014

Hi JCM, I already brought J in these parts. Shepherd's Heart, however, was not around back then.

How does J find the rise of 'Third Wave' coffeeshops in the metro?

6. Reply

Anonymous

June 30, 2014

Unfortunately, we (him tugging me reluctantly), haven't tried them yet. You know how much J prioritizes work above all things! Food included…LOL!!!

bren | www.baktincorporation.com

June 30, 2014

That workaholic friend of ours indeed. #ulirangemployeeawardee πŸ™‚

7. Reply

looney planeteer

July 1, 2014

aside from kalinga, asa pa gikan ilang ubang beans?

bren | www.baktincorporation.com

July 1, 2014

Hi RV, Welcome to Baktin Corporation!
      I think they only prepare Kalinga beans in the meantime. You may also try Bo's, if you haven't done that yet, as they have Matutum, Mt. Apo, Kitanglad and Sagada beans.

8. Reply

doi

September 27, 2014

Baktin! Kuyog ko sa next visit nimo please! πŸ˜€